Shipbuilding and Ocean Engineering Department
Shipbuilding and Ocean Engineering Program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission(EAC) of ABET (Criteria: Ocean Engineering) www.abet.org
Continue the unique Shipbuilding and Ocean Engineering program in Turkey with emphasis on life-long learning and continuous development applied to education and research. This program aims to achieve an understanding of fundamentals of mathematics, science and engineering coupled with advanced skills to design, manufacture and use marine/offshore structures and systems using modern decision making and analysis methods.
The Educational Objectives of the Shipbuilding and Ocean Engineering Program are as follows:
1. to equip students with an ability to design all kinds of marine vehicles, coastal and offshore structures,
2. to provide students with a strong background in engineering fundamentals allowing lifelong learning, which will aid them in problem solving and decision-making,
3. to provide students with skills to handle conflict, work in teams with different backgrounds due to the diverse working areas, and care about the environment and other related contemporary issues,
4. to graduate students competent in written/oral presentation skills, and modern engineering tools,
5. to encourage our graduates for pursuing a career in academia, graduate studies and in research.
Student Outcomes 1.
An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
2. An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
3. An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
4. An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic,environmental, and societal contexts.
5. An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
6. An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
7. An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.