Shipbuilding and Ocean Engineering Department
Shipbuilding and Ocean Engineering Program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission(EAC) of ABET (Criteria: Ocean Engineering) www.abet.org
Continue the unique Shipbuilding and Ocean Engineering program in Turkey with emphasis on life-long learning and continuous development applied to education and research. This program aims to achieve an understanding of fundamentals of mathematics, science and engineering coupled with advanced skills to design, manufacture and use marine/offshore structures and systems using modern decision making and analysis methods.
The Educational Objectives of the Shipbuilding and Ocean Engineering Program are as follows:
1. to equip students with an ability to design all kinds of marine vehicles, coastal and offshore structures,
2. to provide students with a strong background in engineering fundamentals allowing lifelong learning, which will aid them in problem solving and decision-making,
3. to provide students with skills to handle conflict, work in teams with different backgrounds due to the diverse working areas, and care about the environment and other related contemporary issues,
4. to graduate students competent in written/oral presentation skills, and modern engineering tools,
5. to encourage our graduates for pursuing a career in academia, graduate studies and in research.
a. an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
b. an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
c. an ability to design a system, component or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability.
d. ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams
e. an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
f. an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
g. an ability to communicate effectively
h. the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental and societal context
i. a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
j. a knowledge of contemporary issues
k. an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice